Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Renewing Relationships

During my high school years I had a good friend who was as close to my family and I as the brother we always wanted. He was kind-hearted, giving and always wanted the best for those around him. He was a rare breed and I'd like to think that I was as good a friend to him as he was to me.

We graduated and left for different colleges with every intention of maintaining contact. As time would have it, we lost touch with one another save random sightings by family or friends. We simply fell into our routines and often remembered good times but never put forth the effort to reconnect.

Late last week, he truly was heavy on my heart. Sure, I've lost contact with others but at the time, he was the only one that I really longed to be in contact with. Well, without the expertise of The Locator or even popular sites like Facebook or Linkedin, I found him! A simple google search put me in contact with my long lost friend.

How good it was to reconnect, reminisce and play catch-up. How refreshing to find he's still as humble and sincere as he always was. They say time brings about a change, well this is certainly an instance where I'm glad time seems to have stood still. He is still my friend and how blessed am I to have this opportunity to renew this relationship. The scripture, "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" (Phil 1:3) has never been more true to me. I know that it was the Lord that led me to type his name into that search engine and I am so glad that I followed that direction.

Perhaps you've lost contact with someone who was once very special to you. If so, I'd urge you to give Google a try. Hopefully your search will be just as rewarding as mine.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your post. Through Facebook, I have been able to find friends and vice-versa. Not only has it been wonderful to reconnect with acquaintences and go down memory lane, but it has been a true blessing to reconnect with those special friends who mean the most to you. As a result, I am looking forward to catching up with those special friends and their families over the next couple of months during class reunion, flying out and hosting them when they come into Atlanta. I've even been able to reach out to familiy members I would've otherwise not been in contact with consistently. Yes, it has been a good thing to renew relationships. Life is too short not to be blessed with those people who mean the most to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Carmenita) Wow. I was so moved by your post. I too have been trying to find a friend, although I hadn't known him as long as you had with your friend, that made such an impression on me in a short time. It was my Sophomore year in college. He lived in my dorm and honestly I don't know how it came to be that we met, but sooner than later, he was hanging out in my dorm room. Sometimes to hide from his brothers when he was a pledge on the Omega line (yea I was harboring a fugitive!). His genuineness was something I had never experienced before as well as he made me laugh (what powerful medicine) endlessly. He transferred to University of Wisconsin and as time passed we lost touch. Over the years I've made attempts to reach him- old phone numbers, writing to his old address etc, but no luck. Surprisingly, the internet hasn't turned up anything. In reading your post, I'm not going to give up. The feeling of friendship, I mean a kindred friendship is like no other. And when you have lost it, searched for it and then found it again - it's worth every minute of time in that journey. Here's to never letting go! Enjoy! Warmest regards......... Carmenita

    ReplyDelete